Our cruising routes
1 week cruises
2 week cruises
Booking with us
Terms and conditions
The remnants of ancient Amos is centred on the elongated hill of Asarcık at Hisarburnu (meaning "fortress point"), just above the gulf of Marmaris. The city wall is made of coursed polygonal masonry dated to the Hellenistic period (323 BC to 146 BC) and is fairly well preserved on the north slope where walls and towers still stand 3 to 4 metres high. The wall on the south reach has almost disappeared due to erosion. 5 towers are preserved, all of which are solid except for one. There is one gate in the northern wall, which is probably the main city gate. On the basis of the masonry used, the construction of the original wall has been dated to the 4th century B.C.
Of the intra muros remains, the theatre is the most apparent. Of the 3 known Greek theatres of the Rhodian Peraea, The Amos theatre is the only one with preserved remnants of the skene and the orchestra. The approximate number of spectators is estimated to around 1300. G.E. Bean found in 1948 a fragmentary altar to Dionysus in the area of the orchestra.
On the top of the hill just west of the theatre, several fragments of an Hellenistic circular or semi-circular statue base is to be seen.
Further to the west close to the ramparts, are the foundations of a small temple in antis with a pronaos (columned porch way 6.8m wide and 13.8m long. Inscriptions with a temple inventory found in the vicinity show that the temple was probably dedicated to Apollo Samnaios (Apollo-of-the-hill), a deity only known from this location.
The necropolis is located just outside the city proper, north of the city walls. Several-rock cut tombs are visible in the terrain, together with some inscriptions and fragments of monumental architecture.
The inhabitants of the Rhodian Peraea, and thus Amos as well, were full Rhodian citizens. It seems however as the amians, being of Lindian descent, held no citizenship at Lindos. The inscriptions mentioned above indicate that the city (ha polis, that is, Rhodes) had the right to evict tenants and charge fines, showing that the polis (city) had strong interests in the area. As a result Amos was a part of the Delian League (founded about 477 BC) and was an association of Greek city states, members numbering between 150 and 173, under the overall leadership of Athens.
Amphitheatre view to the east
City wall of Amos view towards Yıdız Adası
Amphitheatre view towards
The builders: were Doric Rhodians
Founded: Early Hellenistic times 323 BC
Abandoned: probably during Roman times
|Extra Curricula Activities|
|Hostess 'Gold Cruise'|
|Sailing Confidence Builder|
|Terms and Conditions|